Ms. Cook's Table: Beets On Toast With Goat Cheese
Beets On Toast With Goat Cheese
The diced and glazed beets can be refrigerated overnight and gently reheated before serving.
- 3 beets ( 3/4 pound)
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- twelve 4 by 2 inch slices of dense whole grain bread, brushed with olive oil and toasted
- goat cheese
- 12 sprigs of parsley
- extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- In a medium saucepan, cover the beets with cold water.
- Add the thyme springs, black peppercorns and red wine vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, partially covered, until the beets are tender, about 45 minutes, replenishing with water if necessary.
- Drain the beets, then peel and cut them into 1/4 inch dice.
- Return the diced beets to the saucepan.
- Add the sherry vinegar, sugar, rosemary sprig and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Cook over moderately high heat until a syrupy glaze forms, about 12 minutes.
- Discard the rosemary sprig and season the beets with salt.
- Top each whole-grain toast with a spoonful of the glazed beets, sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Top with a sprig of fresh parsley and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
- Bonnie Blue Farm - Gayle and Jim Tanner: Goat Cheese
- Bountiful Blessing Farm: Pam and John Dysinger : Beets
654 Dry Prong Road
Williamsport, TN 38487
- Twin Forks Farm: Artisan Bread
Primm Springs, TN
Bohemian 3 Seeded